20 December 2008

Looking for books to buy?

I've finished my buying: and I'm pleased to say all my gifts are books!

Lots of people have been publishing their best for 2009 already, although there are really 10 days to go.

So, in case you are looking for some recommendations, I've listed in my Breaking News, 10 lists of "best" fiction that I've seen recently.

Of course you could simply go to the book shop armed with my "top 30" of what I've read this year:
5.0, SHATTER, Michael Robotham
5.0, NEMESIS, Jo Nesbo
5.0, FAN MAIL, PD Martin
5.0, DIRTY WEEKEND, Gabrielle Lord
5.0, A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS, R.J. Ellory
5.0, A CURE FOR ALL DISEASES, Reginald Hill
5.0, BENEATH THE BLEEDING, Val McDermid
4.9, SEEKING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR, Fred Vargas
4.8, VOODOO DOLL, Leah Giarratano
4.8, WHERE WILL THERE BE GOOD NEWS?, Kate Atkinson
4.8, THE LORDS' DAY, Michael Dobbs
4.8, WATER LIKE A STONE, Deborah Crombie
4.8, THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, Stieg Larsson
4.8, NOT DEAD ENOUGH, Peter James
4.8, CARELESS IN RED, Elizabeth George
4.8, OVERKILL, Vanda Symon
4.7, WHAT THE DEAD KNOW, Laura Lippman
4.7, DEAD MAN'S FOOTSTEPS, Peter James
4.7, WORLD WITHOUT END, Ken Follett (Audio CD)
4.7, WASH THIS BLOOD CLEAN FROM MY HAND, Fred Vargas
4.7, COLD IN HAND, John Harvey
4.7, SUCKED IN, Shane Maloney
4.7, THE RISK OF DARKNESS, Susan Hill
4.7, THE PURE IN HEART, Susan Hill
4.7, THE VOWS OF SILENCE, Susan Hill
4.7, THE GIRL OF HIS DREAMS, Donna Leon
4.7, NO TIME FOR GOODBYE, Linwood Barclay
4.7, DEATH DELIGHTS, Gabrielle Lord
4.7, A NAIL IN THE HEART, Timothy Hallinan
4.7, A KILLING FROST, R.D. Wingfield

And you could look further than that.
When I started posting on this blog I listed the books chosen by oz_mystery_readers as the best for 2006 and 2007
They were
BROKEN SHORE (THE), Peter Temple
DIAMOND DOVE, Adrian Hyland
DEVIL'S STAR (THE), Jo Nesbo
RAVEN BLACK, Ann Cleeves
ABOVE SUSPICION, Lynda La Plante

Top by a long way is THE BROKEN SHORE with which Peter Temple has won the Ned Kelly award for Best Novel in 2006, and then the 2007 CWA Duncan Lawrie Award

6 comments:

Uriah Robinson said...

Pleased to see Jo Nesbo, Donna Leon and Fred Vargas among your choices.

Lourdes said...

This is a great list! And I like the idea of doing more than just the Top 10.

LaClau said...

Hi Kerrie,
I came to visit from Mexico.
Wow, I like your recommendations, I will have a lot to read, added to my own, infinite, list. What would life be without books.
My favorites are history books and biographies.
A big hug from Mexico.

Kerrie said...

Too many books to read aren't there? I'm too lazy to cut the list down Lourdes. I know Norm (Uriah Robinson) wants to list just the best 5 at some time. LaClau- Is there Mexican crime fiction?

Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie, Karen Empress of Euro Crime asks her reviewers to name a best five and although I found it difficult I have sent my selections in to her. I did cheat a bit sneaking in a couple of extras but I expect she will be posting all the selections in the New Year.

Kailana said...

Howdy! You have a Christmas Spirit Award waiting for you at my blog...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin