23 August 2009

Weekly Geeks 2009-32: Why Haven't I Read This Yet?

This week's Weekly Geeks task is to talk about a book or books I haven't read yet. Sorry, I can't do that!
That's because I have Mount TBR (to be read) lurking in the passage. Just inside the front door it is, waiting to trap me, ensnare me in its coils as I pass by in and out of the house.

Here is the main peak of TBR.

Sitting smugly at the top are the library books. They think they are safe. Little do they know. Today 6 of them have been relegated, unread, to the out-of-this-house contingent, just to keep our librarian happy. They'll be back!

Under the library shelf are the so-called "review" books - ones I should be reviewing post-haste.

And under them books I have bought. I have talked before about my inability to visit a book shop without books leaping off the shelves into my arms!

The growth of Mount TBR is a constantly recurring theme of this blog.

And here is the Agatha Christie Challenge part of it.
I've read 13 out of an estimated 80 Agatha Christie titles. And just last week, they've announced another has been discovered.




And here is the pinnacle: the select few, the ones I have to read now: just ignore the fact that there is nearly a month's reading there.

10 reasons why TBR doesn't ever diminish
  • Reading them gets deferred in favour of other books I have to read for discussions and books groups I belong to.
  • New review books keep turning up!
  • I can't stay away from book shops.
  • I'm greedy and collect books like other people collect stamps
  • People keep publishing new books
  • I don't read fast enough
  • I've tried training my eyes to read independently of each other, but it doesn't work, my brain gets in the way
  • I belong to Book Mooch
  • I've tried to listen to audio books and read hard copy books, but despite an innate ability to multi-task I can't do both at once.
  • I am addicted to blogging and spend valuable reading time blogging, tweeting, and reading other people's blogs.
What does your TBR look like?

18 comments:

Maree said...

What does my TBR look like? Uh ... I prefer not to answer, on the grounds I may incriminate myself.
Happy Weekly Geeks! :)

Bernadette said...

I'm in much the same situation Kerrie. I acquire books at a faster pace than I can read them. I'm trying to be more selective these days but nothing much seems to quell my acquisitive nature when it comes to books. As for a particular book that I wish had read I can't think of one particular one - although I do have a few that have been on Mt TBR for several years!

Frances said...

My tbr pile is not even a pile. It is scattered about the house. I think I do this to avoid having to deal with the reality of the size of it. Can't imagine having to look at all unreads in one spot. Happy reading!

gautami tripathy said...

I think we all are in the same boat..er..diffrent boats with mountain high TBR piles!

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read it yet?

Molly said...

I think this is something that we can all relate to, although I was afraid that I was the only one who had to take books back to the library unread (I feel better knowing that I am not).

I agree whole-heartedly with your top 10 list!

The way I see it....there are worse vices in life, so I will probably not be changing my ways anytime in the near future :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I LOVED peeking at your bookshelves. Some great titles there, and I always love it when I see someone who seems to be as obsessed with library books as well..LOL

Rikki said...

Wow, tht IS a huge TBR pile. You've got your work cut out for you.

Marg said...

Funnily enough my TBR pile keeps on growing too!

Unknown said...

Goodness gracious! That is tons of books yet to be read! I really like your labeling the shelves idea. So cool.

Sixret said...

Love this post very much.I always love to see other people's TBR or library.It's funny and the most important part is that it gives the link to Agatha Christie's new discovered story.I have pre-ordered the book via amazon UK right away!

Thank you very much Kerrie.

Susan said...

I really enjoyed your post! I laughed alot. Very similar, you and I are, except for the joining books groups. I'm not much of a joiner, and I want to read the books I want to read. So...is my TBR pile smaller than yours? NO!!! I think it might be larger! i like how you can't get your eyes to read two different books at the same moment! that would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it?? lol

Kerrie said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.
Perhaps what I should have explained too is that main bookshelf is too big to get totally into the picture - but it houses over 200 books. That would last me a whole year on a desert island (with some left over)
I wish there was just one or two books to feel guilty about, but I give up on feeling guilty about 200+

PK the Bookeemonster said...

I did the Weekly Geek thing too. There is just too much to read. Yes, there are some authors I've dropped over the years as my tastes have changes but then I've so many others and they have backlists, of course. My particular favorite subgenre is historical mysteries; there's a LOT of history to cover so that adds to the TBR. And you have to see who's new because you don't want to miss out on anybody good so that adds to your reading time. THIS IS HARD WORK, I tell you. Stamp collecting would be much easier. :)

Anonymous said...

You have to have the most organized TBR pile I've ever seen. My TBR's are left all over the house, I like to think in strategic locations, in hopes I'll trip over one and start reading it! I thought the solution would be getting a kindle... Except now I have a TBR Screen as well.

Happy Weekly Geeks!

Dorte H said...

Have you tried to give up work, sleep, cooking, cleaning ...?

Sometimes I think it may be an advantage that we don´t have any good bookstores nearby.

Kristen said...

I loved your picture additions on this one!

pussreboots said...

I don't think it's possible to read all of Agatha Christie's books. She's clearly a zombie and writing from beyond the grave.

Luanne said...

Oh I really enjoyed this post and pics Kerrie! My TBR pile are actually all neatly in rows leaning against a chair. I play change the order quite often. the problem is that the lineup has snaked out to the middle of the room......

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin