11 November 2009

Reading Digitally or Kindly

I've had my Kindle (international version) just over a week now so I thought I'd report on how I'm getting on.

It came to the rescue last week when I read LIVING WITH YOUR KIDS IS MURDER by Mike Befeler. My quest for a book to buy and read (always the best way of getting used to using a new gadget is to use it), I remembered Mike's book which I had been unable to buy here in Oz earlier in the year.
Was it my imagination that I actually read the book quicker than I would have in hard copy? I'm not sure.

Then I finished my latest actual book, and intended to read THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST. I thought I had a copy, but then found I actually had a copy of THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE not TQWKTHN. So I made another purchase. This was a bit more expensive than the previous one but hey, I've got to have it read in a week or two.

I've played around with sizing the text and the white space around it. I've played with the text to voice option - don't actually like either voice much, but the male one is preferable to the female one.

I've actually downloaded some anthologies of books: Classic Mystery Collection with about 100 books in it, The Essential Mystery and Thriller Anthology with another 28 books in it, and then a couple of others including PLUM PUDDING MURDER by Joanne Fluke.

I've learnt also to send a pdf file to Amazon for free conversion. I've still got a few other things to learn, but I'll get there.

One thing that disappoints me a little is that some of the books that are available to US users of the Kindle are not available to International users for copyright reasons. I hope they get that sorted out soon.
Amazon says they have over 10,000 Kindle books available in Mysteries and Thrillers but I'm not finding too many of my usual authors there. From that point of view I can't see the Kindle replacing my hard copy books any time soon.

On the other hand I've learnt to transfer my Audible audio books onto my Kindle. Although I have yet to locate a volume control, and they are just a tad loud.

However, if you are reading this and have a Kindle, you may be able to recommend some books for me to look for.

For ease of reading though I have to give Kindle high marks, I do think I am reading a little faster.

If you are looking for more information about using the Kindle you might like to look at what Mack Captures Crime has to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that update, Kerrie. I've been thinking of getting an E-reader, myself, so it's very nice to hear how it's working out.

Dorte H said...

Well, I still don´t feel tempted at all. I have just ordered four ´real´ books, and I can hardly wait to hold them in my hand.

Still, I think it would be interesting to hear a bit about prices, because it costs so much to order books from remote corners of the world.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've had my Kindle about a month, and have downloaded several books, but I have not read ANY. I love gadgets, IPOD, IPHONE etc, but I think I prefer actual books. I'm still glad I have it but do not think it will be heavily utilized by me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin