8 November 2012

Forgotten Book: THE COLOR PURPLE, Alice Walker

I've based my contributions to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books this year on books I read twenty years ago in 1992.

Every now and then I come across a title in my records that reminds me that I didn't always read crime fiction.
I read THE COLOR PURPLE early in 1992 and then studied it in depth with the senior English class that I was teaching that year.

Synopsis (Fantastic Fiction)

Celie has grown up in rural Georgia, navigating a childhood of ceaseless abuse. Not only is she poor and despised by the society around her, she's badly treated by her family. As a teenager she begins writing letters directly to God in an attempt to transcend a life that often seems too much to bear. Her letters span twenty years and record a journey of self-discovery and empowerment through the guiding light of a few strong women and her own implacable will to find harmony with herself and her home.

The Color Purple's deeply inspirational narrative, coupled with Walker's prodigious talent as a stylist and storyteller, have made the novel a contemporary classic of American letters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE COLOR PURPLE made a deep impact world wide and won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1983. It was later adapted into a film and musical of the same name. The film was directed by Steven Spielberg and starred Whoopi Goldberg as Celie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I think it's a classic, too, and I'm very glad you featured it :-).

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

I have never read this book though I have seen the film version more than once. Thank you for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Great book, one that educated me and raised my consciousness on several issues, although it was controversial.

The movie was good, the cast superb.

It's among my top 10 or so reads, along with Toni Morrison's Beloved, also a Pulitzer Prize winner.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin